Cauliflower is now widely considered a superfood – one of the world’s healthiest foods and an incredible source of crucial vitamins and minerals. Health experts are placing it next to broccoli, as cauliflower is a rich source of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, manganese, phosphorus, and biotin. It is also a great source of vitamin B1, B2, and B3 as well as potassium, magnesium and protein. It’s also a common belief that we cannot get enough protein without a diet of meat, but in fact, Cauliflower is a rich source of essential proteins.
Here are 5 incredible health benefits of Cauliflower
- Cauliflower fights cancer. Cauliflower is known to fight cancer because it contains sulforaphane, a sulfur compound known to kill cancer stem cells. Scientists believe that killing cancer stem cells may prevent and fight cancer, in particular by slowing or disabling tumor growth. The National Cancer Institute states, "Indoles and isothiocyanates have been found to inhibit the development of cancer in several organs in rats and mice, including the bladder, breast, colon, liver, lung, and stomach."
- Cauliflower, a cruciferous vegetable, is an anti-inflammatory and includes indole3-carbinol which may also work to fight cancer. The vegetable is high in Vitamin K which is key to fight inflammation.
- Cauliflower means a healthier heart. Sulforaphane, found in Cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables, can significantly improve the function of one’s kidneys and blood pressure. Improved blood flow means healthier blood flow to and one from the heart.
- Cauliflower increases the body’s digestion. As we now know, it’s rich in dietary fiber and increase and improve digestion, but Cauliflower can work to improve and protect the stomach’s lining
- Cauliflower increases the brain’s health. Choline is known to improve brain health. A healthier brain improves cognitive function, the ability to learn and retain information and improves memory. It’s also known to improve age-related memory decline, which may be beneficial to halting degenerative diseases affecting the brain.
Adding Cauliflower to the diet can have a strong impact on one’s health. Its value is vast as it adds to a healthier heart and mind, increases digestion and may help to fight cancers.